Key Points and Summary – Iranian state media has released dramatic video footage of its “Sustainable Power 1404” naval exercises, which concluded on August 22.
-The clips show Iranian warships, including the Sabalan destroyer, launching a barrage of Nasir, Ghader, and Qader anti-ship cruise missiles at targets in the Indian Ocean.
-While Tehran portrays the drills as a successful show of strength and combat readiness, this display comes as its military remains in a weakened state.
-Iran’s air defenses were gutted in the recent war with Israel, making this latest projection of power a likely bluff aimed at a domestic audience.
Iranian Media Releases Video Footage of “Sustainable Power” Drills
Iranian state media last week released video footage depicting naval military drills in the Indian Ocean.
The drills, which were confirmed earlier this week, are technically routine – but come amid ongoing hostility between the U.S. and Iran.
Known as the “Sustainable Power 1404” drill, the exercises began on Thursday, August 21, and saw Iranian Navy units launching missiles and drones at targets in the Indian Ocean.
“These drills take place around a month after the Iran-Russia drill under the name Casarex 2025, which took place in Iran’s northern waters (Caspian Sea),” an Iranian report explained, adding that the drills are “in Iran’s southern waters.”
The footage shared by Iranian media offers a look at those drills taking place in the Gulf of Oman and northern Indian Ocean, with missiles seen striking targets and causing large explosions in the water.
Exercises concluded on Friday, August 22, and saw Iranian vessels utilize a combination of Nasir, Ghader, and Qader anti-ship cruise missiles launched from warships and coastal batteries.
Iran’s Press TV reported that Iranian naval units and missile systems “successfully destroyed their surface targets at sea using the Qadir and Nasir cruise missiles, as well as the Qader medium-range anti-ship cruise missile.”
The report said that the three missiles were fired simultaneously from the Genevah missile-launching vessel and the Sabalan destroyer.
“As part of the main stages of the military exercise, various types of naval cruise missiles with different ranges successfully hit their targets in the northern Indian Ocean and the Sea of Oman after firing from the surface vessels of the Navy,” the report continues.
On Wednesday, Admiral Abbas Hassani, acting as spokesman for the exercises, said that the drills were designed to strengthen Iranian combat readiness, enhance planning and command capabilities, and to deter adversaries.
However, the drills are unlikely to deter Israel – with reports suggesting that fresh strikes against Iran could arrive before the end of this year. Iran is also ill-prepared for another conflict. As noted by this outlet earlier this week, a combination of a gutted air defense network, aging air force assets and inadequate naval capabilities means Iran’s warnings to Washington and Jerusalem could be one huge bluff.
Before the 12-Day War, Iran largely depended on mostly legacy Russian-supplied SAMs like the S-300 and SA-6 working alongside aging radar infrastructure – and those systems were heavily impacted during Israeli strikes.
So far, Iran has been unable to replace those systems with more modern alternatives, instead bringing old units out of storage – making them vulnerable to future strikes.
About the Author: Jack Buckby
Jack Buckby is a British author, counter-extremism researcher, and journalist based in New York. Reporting on the U.K., Europe, and the U.S., he works to analyze and understand left-wing and right-wing radicalization, and reports on Western governments’ approaches to the pressing issues of today. His books and research papers explore these themes and propose pragmatic solutions to our increasingly polarized society. His latest book is The Truth Teller: RFK Jr. and the Case for a Post-Partisan Presidency.
Military Affairs
China’s Stealth Air Force Has 1 Mission
